Translate

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Hollywood,Bollywood,Nollywood and now Korean series!!!

I am a movie/series fanatic except horror movies especially the Nigerian one's of course. It all began with the Mexican/ Spanish telenovelas they showed in the afternoons during lunch or evenings at supper. I think I got introduced to it by the maid or my Aunty when I was still a kid it was like a feminine ritual and am sure it wasn't only in my house but across the country. Even now, a lot of working women time their lunch breaks when the series are showing and it's not uncommon to see people peeping through windows or shops to catch a glimpse of their favourite telenovela. African tv's are saturated with them!
 So, let's estimate an African little girl starts watching them at age eight let's say one telenovela by month at twenty she would have watched 166 telenovelas!! OMG.. To add to that there is now an influx of Indian and Korean movies. Anyways, right now am crazy about this Korean series called Boys Before Flowers(BBF) you should check it on youtube. I was infected by two close friends.Though it's a time waster I've learnt a few words and it has changed my opinion on Asian guys, some of them are really cute lol.
I'm studying pyschology and maybe I should do some research on the effects these telenovelas have on the younger generation or it could even be my thesis. I have come to some conclusions based on my own experience.
Five effects telenovelas have on an African lady:
1 .We believe in fate and love.
2. We hope to fall for romantic men, which rarely happens in this part of the world .
3. Most of the series are western, this has influenced African women to view Caucasians as more romantic and spontaneous then their fellow brothers. Even I believe that!
4. This has made some ladies crazy about finding a Caucasian guy to make them experience all of that.
5. There is a cultural unrelevance here, flowers are substituted for phone credits. How do we reconcile both?
I know most girls would love flowers but.. is it relevant or even feasible in our context?
 
안녕 = Bye! See you guys soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment