Translate

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

An imported Ghanaian

I am Ghanaian all right because I am a proud owner of a passport emblemed with 'The Republic of Ghana'.
  But, on a more serious note I have been a permanent resident in Accra for two years now. I was born and raised in Cote D'Ivoire which am sure you all know now since it has become the first country to have two ruling presidents for more than 3 months now, it deserves to be in The Guiness World Book.

Thus, am an Imported Ghanaian (term used for ghanaians that have been away to long). My first encounter with this phrase was through a satirical book written by; Alba Kunadu Sumprim. The story is narrated through cartoon characters so no excuses for you lazy readers .Check her out on  www.theimportedghanaian.com

Anyways I think I can give myself some brownie points for adapting pretty well to my country. If one wants to know if he/she has fitted appropriately into my culture the person should be able to; sit in traffic for two hours in the tropical heat congested with car fumes, not forgetting the occasional honks of taxis and buses  yet enjoy the beauty of the chaos which could have been prevented if one car had obeyed the traffic light and stopped when it was red.
Another thing I should be proud of is the improvment of my fluency in' twi' and 'pidgen' . Note! this is very critical in any transaction. Whether when stopping a taxi or buying a yard of cloth in the market. First reason, it reduces the chances of any trader duping you because he or she believes your a foreigner and can make more profit from you. Secondly, it makes everything much simpler today I was able to maintain a conversation with a cab driver and he talked about reckless drivers, risen petrol prices and more.  Lastly, if you are able to fall asleep although your neighbour is a church which constantly  sings, prays and chants because it believes it can attract non-belivers with this strategy or a 'drinking spot' around the corner that booms non-stop all night long with nigerian and ghanaian latest hit songs then you have conquered it all.
Surprisingly, it is pretty calm today. Lord thankyou! Really need my beauty sleepy got assigned to a voluntary organisation today will tell you more... next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment