Translate

Monday, July 16, 2012

Who invented high heels?

Last two weeks I wore high heels for four hours straight without sitting. I was an usher at a huge gala event for the opening of a King city. A city that would have all amenities (hospital,schools,malls etc). It was an evening where the 'creme de la creme' of Ghanain society met and dined. But, I didn't really notice them because all I wanted to do was finish my job, get my cash and let my sore feet relax. Two other facts that I deem necessary to add are: 1) They were the first heels I ever bought.  2) They were quite high for an "amateur high heels wearer" like me.



So, my job was basically greeting the distinguished guests with a smile, asking them for their invitation cards, directing them to the bar for champagne as I gave their card to the IT desk for them to crosscheck their names on the list and later lead them to their seats. It sounds easy right? But, it is not!! It made me appreciate girls who do beauty pageants, ushers and models. I  wore these heels for a couple of minutes and common sense told me to go change into my sister's heels. They were much more comfy and I had walked in it several times especially during a fashion show a few months ago.
Don't they look comfy! I wore these for three hours but later a bunch of girls and me went to the change room and wore slippers. Our boss never found out because our clothes were long and covered the shoes underneath.
So who created high heels why do we women endure such pain? Well according to my research, heels originated in Egypt it was worn by the higher social class. Later, they were hieroglyphics that were found that showed the use of heels in Rome and Italy. In Italy it was called "chippone". Those heels were really tall and was said to impede women from cheating on their husbands.
Well I love heels but I have decided to wear them only if I am going to be walking from a car to a seat and back to the car when the event is over. My shoes shall not rule me!

2 comments: