Translate

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Saddest Day in Ghana

I was in the car with Abena(my sister) on the way to our writing class  when we received a call from Kweku(my brother). He said " Abe and Adom come back home, Atta Mills is dead". I was stunned and I thought he could not be serious. So, we switched our radio frequency to Joy Fm and BBC. The news was been confirmed. That is when it dawned on us it was true. I thought of his wife now a widow, the fact that he had no biological children, the state of the nation now that we are heading towards an election.
John Atta Mills was a very humble man and a responsible statesman. I know realize how Ghanaians were blessed to have such a leader. The saying "One never knows the value of something till it is lost".  We teased him, made songs about him and even movies like 'Atta the mortuary man' to ridicule his illness. There were always rumors about his illness, he has been pronounced dead many times but friends and foes. Well, today it is official yet nobody wants to believe it, we wish it was all a joke. 
Next time we have a good leader let us appreciate him and strive to be at peace with everyone regardless of their tribe or political party.
 Goodnight Ghana and my condolences.

No comments:

Post a Comment